By Robert Rapier on Aug 23, 2012 with 9 responses

Interview On My Energy Positions After ASPO 2011

Following last year’s ASPO conference, I was interviewed by Aaron Wissner of Local Future, which is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to issues of energy, the environment, and sustainability. Aaron just made that interview available, and instead of an R-Squared Energy TV episode this week, I thought I would share this interview with readers.

Among other things, we discuss:

• The reasons that I became interested in energy issues
  • My Long Recession hypothesis
  • The relationship between oil prices and recession
  • The importance of taking control of your personal energy consumption
  • Why lower oil consumption in the U.S. didn’t lead to lower oil prices
  • The climate change challenge

Because it is election season, the rhetoric on energy is heating up. Over the next few columns I will begin to take a closer look at the energy policies of the candidates, beginning with Mitt Romney’s recently-released energy plan.

Link to Original Article: Interview On My Energy Positions After ASPO 2011

By Robert Rapier

1. By James Clary on August 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Wow,

Very interesting points, but that interviewer doesn’t know how to ask a question and get out of the way.

J.A.C.

2. By Rob Ryan on August 23, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Hi Robert,

I typically enjoy your blog and your input on TOD and, in fact, you’re on my blog roll. But I have  to be candid. To me, you’re much more valuable (very valuable indeed) when discussing specifics. For example, why cellulosic ethanol has been a bust to date, why the President can’t turn a knob and control gas prices, etc. When talking about generalities such as the rise of China and India and its likely effect on energy prices, climate, etc. or the likely future trajectory of the global economy I don’t find that you add much value.

• By Robert Rapier on August 23, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Well, I didn’t get to choose the questions I was asked. It also depends upon the audience as to how specific those answers are. For a general audience you don’t get into detailed technical answers.

• By Rob Ryan on August 24, 2012 at 11:51 am

Sure, I completely understand that but this interview is on your blog. I’m just saying that I didn’t find it to be a valuable post whereas I typically gain a lot of insight from your analyses. It’s just an attempt at a bit of constructive (hopefully) criticism. As I said, I very much value your writing.

• By Optimist on August 27, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Gotta be frank, Rob,

I think you are full of it.

Obviously, there are many technical details to discuss when you discuss a technical subject, like cellulosic ethanol. In addition, when you discuss the rise of China or India, the subject is inevitably shrouded in uncertainty (Is the Chine economy slowing down rapidly? How will Chinese and Indian leaders respond to high oil prices? Who will outbid whom?)

And RR’s discussion on the future of the global economy is as clear-headed as anything out there. In stark contrast to what you’ll find from many of the so-called financial experts.

3. By Warren Stephens on August 24, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I have the same problem with trying to advise my kids on their future. How about farming?  Nuclear engineer?  Or it’s some other blurted out suggestion.

I would have liked a question and response addressing (my perception at least) that the coming shortages are with liquid fuels, and not really near term shortages in the electricity area.  How much mitigation will we get using electricity to substitute for oil?  I’m optimistic about it myself.

4. By Russ Finley on August 25, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Nice interview.

I’m with Warren. My wife just got 52 mpg on her last tank of gas in her Prius. Between that car and my Leaf, gasoline prices have very little impact on our budget.

5. By Marathon Energy on August 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Whaaaaaat they don’t let you choose your own questions in the interview blasphemy. Jk

I actually found the interview quite interesting thanks for sharing it :]

6. By Tom G. on August 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I also enjoyed the interview.  Just shows the depth of knowledge our host has.  Always something to learn here.