By Samuel R. Avro on Oct 27, 2011 with 12 responses

This Week in Energy: Geothermal’s Potential

This Week in Energy is a weekly round-up of news making headlines in the world of energy. Most of these stories are posted throughout the week to our Energy Ticker page.

The purpose is to stimulate discussion on energy issues. Community members should feel free to turn these into open thread energy discussions. Suggestions and news tips are welcome. I (Sam) can be reached at editor [at] consumerenergyreport [dot] com.

Geothermal, Tesla & Fisker, BP, Food vs. Fuel

Further Reading:

Why shale gas prices will increase

Towns see crime, carousing surge amid gas boom

—–

IBM listens in on wave energy’s subsea sounds

—–

Solar power is beginning to go mainstream
—–

Economic Slowdown Challenges Renewable Energy

—–

Most energy-efficient state? Calif. no longer tops list

—–

What Does Moammar Gadhafi’s Death Mean for the Oil Market?

—–

Waste to energy: Green or greenwash?

—–

Canada’s PM Harper Confident Keystone Pipeline Will Receive U.S. Approval

Canada pushes back in EU oilsands trade spat

——-

Schlumberger: Tight Cushion Of Excess Supply To Fuel Volatile Oil Prices

The peak oil brigade is leading us into bad policymaking on energy

1. By Benny BND Cole on October 28, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Wendall—that’s my point. There are trillions of dollars of gold in the ocean too.

My question is about economic feasibility.

2. By savro on October 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Marcus said:

I supposed that is what I’m getting at.  It seems odd to quote criticism from a political candidate when you’ve expressed such contempt for how politicians deal with energy issues on this blog in the past.  My point: the Fisker loan guarantee issue makes sense to include in a This Week in Energy post.  Romney’s statement on the issue does not warrent inclusion, in my view, unless you think it adds substance.  Does it?

Of course it does. Whether you agree with his criticisms or not, when someone is running for public office — especially POTUS — comments they make or positions they take are undoubtedly newsworthy.

3. By Optimist on October 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

On Fisker and Tesla: Bottom line: It supports RR that DOE should only pay for energy that has been delivered, and let the smart investors pick which technologies will find support with private funds. Unfortunately DOE is playing with public money, and is subject to political BS. As Romney illustrates, again.

I am all for a review of DOE’s funding practiceses. And the more questions asked about ethanol, the better.

4. By Marcus on October 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Samuel R. Avro said:

Marcus said:

Robert Rapier said:

Marcus said:

This Week in Energy (TWIE) isn’t really an analysis of whether Romney’s statement has any substance. That would be more like what would be covered in a regular weekly post. But Romney’s comments did make the news, and TWIE is mostly just recapping energy-related news from the past week. So inclusion isn’t an endorsement of what Romney said (in fact, I haven’t looked into the issue at all) but rather simply that it was news. Just like when Bachmann claimed she would get gas prices down to $2/gal. Not credible, but something that was in the news and would be included in TWIE.

Fair enough, thanks for the reply.

5. By rrapier on October 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Wendell Mercantile said:

There was a report this week that BP is facing a rough economic future…

Hmmm… That doesn’t jive with this report from yesterday of BP’s profits for the third quarter quarter: BP Profit Soars

There does seem to be quite a disconnect there. The first report said analysts were expecting 3rd quarter profits to fall 10% from last year, and the second said profits tripled over the 3rd quarter of last year. I wonder if the first article meant annual profits were expected to be down?

6. By Wendell Mercantile on October 27, 2011 at 1:19 pm

There was a report this week that BP is facing a rough economic future…

7. By Marcus on October 27, 2011 at 4:11 pm

It seems odd the way you’ve phrased the link about Fisker automotive. The production line for Fisker Automotive in Finland is specifically for the $100,000 Fisker Karma, which was already in development before the loan guarantee, while the loan guarantee is for a production line in Delaware for a new model The loan guarantee money will be used specifically for that facility. See the following link, in particular the update at the bottom:

I understand your skepticism following Solyndra and Range, but this is not more of the same, in my view.

8. By rrapier on October 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Marcus said:

It seems odd the way you’ve phrased the link about Fisker automotive.

The phrasing came right out of the news articles. Whether it was correct or not, that was the basis of Romney’s criticism, which is what is reported above.

9. By Marcus on October 27, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Robert Rapier said:

Marcus said:

It seems odd the way you’ve phrased the link about Fisker automotive.

10. By rrapier on October 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Marcus said:

11. By Benny BND Cole on October 27, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Does anyone out there know what means this report from Google? Really, there is 10 times the output from our nation’s coal plants to be found in geothermal, and it is a doable proposition?
    Sheesh, go to PHEV’s, gin up the geothermal, and we are home free.

12. By Wendell Mercantile on October 28, 2011 at 12:16 am

New research funded by Google.org, found that there is three million megawatts of potential geothermal energy — accessible using current technology — below the surface of the United States.

Benny,

There is more energy than that available — using current technology — just from the solar energy that falls on the earth each year.